- Rig Rundowns
- Premier Blogs
Fullerton, CA – (Jan. 24, 2012) – Evolution is about enhancing and expanding desirable traits while reducing unwanted traits. That was Leo Fender’s mission for G&L, and that’s exactly what the new MJ-4 bass accomplishes. The active MJ-4 features G&L’s new Bi-Coil Alnico V pickups and MJ-spec preamp/control system for a huge range of single-coil tones, from classic jazz to far beyond, all without single-coil hum.
A G&L Alnico Bi-Coil pickup looks just like a classic Alnico single-coil, but under the cover are two side-by-side coils configured in series-humbucking mode. These new pickups are optimized for a specially tuned version of G&L’s studio-quality M-spec preamp and control system, dubbed MJ-spec. The 18v system features volume, pan and +/-14dB 3-band EQ with center detents, and is powered by twin 9v batteries housed in an easy-access compartment. With an LF442 chip, 100v poly caps, 1% metal film resistors and big, fat signal traces on the mil-spec circuit board, this preamp reveals everything the player and the instrument have to offer.
The new MJ-4 Active Bass features:
- G&L Bi-Coil pickups for classic tone without the hum
- MJ-spec studio-quality 18v preamp
- Primary volume and pan controls
- +/-14dB 3-band EQ with center detents
- Impeccable, familiar “feel” of the instrument in the hands and on the shoulder
- 11/2” nut-width, medium-C neck profile
- Medium-jumbo, Plek-dressed frets