Savannah, GA (August 11, 2008) – The Gretsch Company has announced the 10 finalists in the Next Gretsch Greats Unsigned Artist Competition, an online search for the world’s best unsigned and independent bands. Eight hundred and seventy nine musical acts from the U.S., U.K., Japan, Canada, Germany, France and Spain entered the competition in May, and music lovers from around the world listened and voted for their favorites from June 15 through July 16.
The 10 artists who received the most votes and advanced to the finalist round are:
• Alexand – Yokohama City, Kanagawa, Japan
Inspired by nature’s beauty to create sensitive music, according to their Web site
• Boyce Avenue – Sarasota, Fla., U.S.A.
Known for its strong acoustic roots and melodic rock sounds
• Colourslide – Gainesville, Fla., U.S.A.
Formed less than a year ago in Florida
• Invisible Man – Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Launched debut album, Music for Lost Souls and Misfits, in 2008
• Lansdowne – Boston, Mass., U.S.A.
Performed in USO-sponsored tour in the Middle East earlier this year
• London Egg – New York City, N.Y., U.S.A.
Named after British pop-inspired brothers, Robes ‘The Lad’ London and Egg
• Mariaville Cattle Company Band – Pattersonville, N.Y., U.S.A.
Popular for their Southern rock and country influences
• Tantric Cycle – Los Angeles, Calif., U.S.A.
Formed in Austria in 2003, relocated to Los Angeles in 2007
• The Refined Gentlemen & Gezele – Elmhurst, N.Y., U.S.A.
Mixed classic rock, R&B and blues to create their unique sound, according to their Web site
• Trailer 77 – Greeley, Colo., U.S.A.
Performed their first gig in May 2004 during their junior year of high school
Each finalist’s entry song is available for listening at www.gretsch125th.com/contest.
A panel of celebrity judges with an ear for great music will listen to the finalists’ entry songs, review their media kits and view videos of the finalists performing their entry songs live. Then, they will choose three prize winners.
The judges are:
• Chuck Leavell, touring keyboardist for The Rolling Stones;
• Steve Ferrone, drummer for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers;
• Keith Scott, guitarist for Bryan Adams; and
• Fred W. Gretsch, president of The Gretsch Company and great-grandson of the company’s founder.
One grand prize winner will perform live at Gretsch’s 125th Anniversary Concert in New York City and take home $15,000 in Gretsch drums and guitars. The first prize winner will win more than $5,000 in Gretsch instruments and the 2nd prize winner will walk away with $1,250 in Gretsch gift certificates.