Neural DSP Technologies Introduces The Morgan Amps Suite Guitar Plugin
Guitarists will encounter an exact, virtualized replica of the contemporary-yet-classic amplifiers’ controls and functions, and access what a stylistic array of great guitarists have made part of their tone.
Neural DSP today announced the launch of the MorganAmps Suite guitar plugin, which combines the tonal sophistication and feature-laden functionality of Morgan Amplification with the virtual mastery of Neural DSP’s plugin technology. Morgan amps can be heard beneath the fingers of guitar legends, including the searing riffs of Josh Smith (Joe Bonamassa, Raphael Saadiq), the soulful melodies of Michael Landau (James Taylor and many more), and the genre-defying riffs of Tosin Abasi (Animals As Leaders).
In the world of guitar amplification, few brands shine as brightly as Morgan Amplification. Founded by the visionary amplifier builder and guitarist Joe Morgan in 2009, Morgan Amplification emerged as a beacon of craftsmanship and innovation for a new generation of guitarists. Drawing inspiration from era-defining vintage tones, Joe set out to create amplifiers that not only paid homage to the classics but also pushed the modern boundaries of sonic possibilities.
Importantly, Joe also sought to design amplifiers that work seamlessly with complex pedal boards. The result is a range of amplifiers revered for their meticulous attention to detail, exceptional build quality, and incredible tonal artistry that have become trusted companions of artists seeking an unparalleled blend of warmth, responsiveness, and harmonic richness.
Neural DSP has painstakingly replicated the essence of three of these iconic amplifiers, ensuring that every note you play carries the rich heritage and the boundless potential of Morgan Amplification.
“What we share with guitarists is a deep and abiding respect for legacy sound,” observes Neural CPOFrancisco Cresp. “Our modeling technology has been able to precisely capture the nuances and features of the Morgan amps, and bring them to life in a plugin version for anyone to access to their fullest extent.”
Inspired by classic designs, modernized, and made more reliable, these amps were born out of a desire to provide the most touch-sensitive and responsive sound possible while also providing an unparalleled pedal platform.
- AC20 — The Morgan AC20 is a single-channel, 20-watt amplifier based on a vintage Vox AC30.It provides very rich, thick tones in high-gain settings.
- PR12 — The Morgan PR12 is a single-channel, 12-watt amplifier based on a classic FenderPrinceton Reverb. It offers bright, super-clean tones to robust overdrives. The PR12 also features a distinctive spring reverb that has become a hallmark of this compact but powerful amp type.
- SW50R — The Morgan SW50R is a single-channel, 50-watt amplifier based on a Dumble cleanchannel with the addition of a tube-driven reverb tank. Entirely hand-wired and built to order, this amp encapsulates everything Morgan Amplifiers does best. At full volume, the amp breaks up dramatically, producing killer tones for grunge and stoner rock.
The Morgan Amps plugin suite comes loaded with a full array of pre- and post-amplified processing. Pre-amp effects include a highly responsive compressor pedal based on the circuits found in high-end recording consoles, with an additional blend control for increased transparency. The attack switch provides two different compressor tones: the Fast setting is snappy and well-suited for funk grooves, whereas the Slow setting mimics the behavior of more traditional guitar compressors, perfect for legato phrasing and slide playing.
OD1 is an iconic overdrive, beloved by guitarists for its warm midrange but desirable on the front end of any amplifier. OD2, on the other hand, offers higher-gain pedal experience, with a transparent and responsive overdrive that lets the innate characteristics of the guitar and the amplifier shine through. And of course, there is a Tremolo effect, this one inspired by the analog tremolo circuits found on classic vintage US amplifiers, and with sync ability added.
When it comes to post-amplification effects, no one does it better than Neural DSP. These include a warm tape-delay effect inspired by ‘70s tape-echo units, augmented with modern features such as tempo synchronization, ping-pong mode, and HP/LP filters. For reverb, the Morgan Amps Suite offers an easy-to-use studio-grade reverb that covers everything from subtle reflections to infinite ethereal soundscapes.
Other features of the Morgan Amps Suite include:
- The Morgan 112 Speaker Cabinet, an open-back cab-sim equipped with a virtual Celestion“Creamback” speaker. The simulated cabinet’s fixed-baffle design, reminiscent of the late '60ssound that came from Baltic birch-wood cabinet construction (considered by many as one of the best 1x12 speaker cabinet designs ever), allows for excellent bass & midrange response.
- An integrated 9-band graphic EQ with both a high-pass and low-pass filter for each of the three amplifier models.
- A Transposition feature that allows you to pitch your guitar up or down by a constant interval(+12/-12 semitones) to easily and instantly change tunings.
- A doubler feature creates a simulated stereo field, giving you the thickening effect of a double-tracked recording.
- An integrated metronome allows you to control time signature, accent sounds, and note values.
- And finally — but oh, so critically — a live tuner displays at the bottom of the UI.
With the introduction of the Morgan Amps Suite, Neural DSP has precisely and authentically virtualized the sonic uniqueness of this very 21st-century amplifier company that combines the best of classic amp design and contemporary electronics, making it easily and affordably available to everyone who ever longed to have that unique Morgan tone at their command.
For more information, please visit neuraldsp.com.
- Neural DSP Technologies Announces Archetype: Tom Morello ›
- Neural DSP Introduces the Quad Cortex ›
- Neural DSP Quad Cortex Review ›