The NanoMag pickup sits just above the Alnico Classic humbucker embedded below the 22nd fret in the fingerboard. Click for larger picture.
The Ultra II has two outputs so you can obtain true stereo sound when combining the humbuckers and the NanoMag or separating them for mixing the signal later. With the separate outputs, the humbuckers'' signal can be routed to your favorite electric guitar amp, while the NanoMag signal is routed to your favorite acoustic guitar amp. Of course, one input is set to mono if you prefer one cord for all signals. Either way, the volume controls on the top of the guitar allow you to mix the signals from the pickups for an array of tones. Wondering how it sounds? Epiphone put their money where there mouth is with this video demonstrating the tonal capabilities of the guitar and its unique pickup system.
Faded Cherry Burst
- Body: Chambered mahogany body
- Top: Quilted maple top
- Neck: Mahogany, slim taper, satin finish, glued, set
- Fingerboard: Rosewood 12" radius, 22 Medium Jumbo frets
- Scale: 24.75"
- Nut Width: 1.65"
- Neck Pickup: Alnico Classic, NanoMag
- Bridge Pickup: Anico Classic Plus
- Bridge: Locktone Tune-o-matic
- Tailpiece: LockTone Stopbar
- Controls: Neck Volume, Bridge Volume, NanoMag Volume, Master Tone, 3-Way Toggle, NanoMag Treble, NanoMag Bass, NanoMag Gain
- Output Jack: 1/4" Mono, 1/4" Stereo
- Power: 9V Battery
- Tuners: Grover Die-Cast
- Hardware: Gold
- Binding: Body and neck
- Finishes: Midnight Ebony or Faded Cherry Burst
- MSRP: $1165
The guitar already has one famous fan in Nancy Wilson of Heart. On Epiphone''s website she says, "I am extremely happy about the new Ultra II. I''ve never liked a lot of complex sound choices, especially on stage, but this guitar is just versatile without being confusing. There are five or six sounds I can switch between in the course of one song and it really bridges the gap between acoustic and electric. That is especially great for me as I usually have to choose between one or the other on a song by song basis. This guitar is awesome!"
Epiphone is giving away a Midnight Ebony Les Paul Ultra II signed by Nancy Wilson in conjunction with the release of the guitar, packaged with a ton of other gear including an Epiphone amp, Eminence Speakers, Gibson humbuckers plus other goodies.