Los Angeles, CA (January 18, 2019) -- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame guitarist Carlos Santanahas announced he will hit the road with his band across North America this summer for the Supernatural Now tour. The three-month, 29-date celebration will commemorate two of the most important milestones in the iconic guitarist’s career: the 20th anniversary of his groundbreaking, multiple Grammy-winning album Supernatural and the 50th anniversary of his momentous performance at Woodstock.
Produced by Live Nation, the Supernatural Now tour begins on June 22 at the Ak-Chin Pavilion in Phoenix, AZ, and will make stops in Dallas, Chicago, Toronto, and more before it concludes on August 25 at the Jones Beach Theater in Wantagh, NY. Tickets will go onsale to the general public beginning January 25 at LiveNation.com.
Critically-acclaimed rock band The Doobie Brothers, who have sold more than 48 million albums and won four GRAMMY® Awards, will appear on all dates. The band is known for their roots-based, harmony-laden, guitar-driven rock and roll set.
Reflecting on the cosmic significance of both anniversaries occurring in the same year,Santana says, “Both were monumental moments in my life. Woodstock and Supernaturaltook me to places I never dreamed were possible. I embraced those incredible moments in my life with all my heart. Both were supreme lessons in maintaining focus, heart and integrity in every step every day and to strive to better oneself with a high standard on and off the stage. I cannot think of these two moments without thinking about Mr. Bill Graham and Mr. Clive Davis. They are two of many angels in my life that helped shape my career.”
The 1999 album Supernatural was an unparalleled success and a watershed event inSantana’s career. Containing the back-to-back No. 1 singles “Smooth” and “Maria Maria,” the album sold over 30 million copies worldwide, topped the charts in over a dozen countries and swept the 2000 Grammy Awards, winning a record-tying nine Grammys including Album of the Year, as well as three Latin Grammys including Record of the Year.
“With Supernatural, I felt I had a masterpiece of joy in my heart,” says Santana. “While we were creating the album, I knew we were touching upon something inspiring and that we were creating music that was timeless, like Marvin Gaye’s What’s Going On or Bob Marley’s Exodus. But no one was prepared for the Supernatural spiritual virus that moved across the world. The album touched little kids and grandparents and all points in between. I am very grateful to Clive Davis for helping me craft this seminal album that is still as relevant and infectious as the day it was released.” “We are honored and humbled to be celebrating the 20th anniversary of one of the most successful albums of all time,” says Michael Vrionis, President of Universal Tone Management. “Carlos’ music is as vibrant and as relevant as it was when Supernaturaldebuted. Our concerts will showcase the melodies, grooves and brilliance of one of the greatest guitarists of all time, Carlos Santana.”
Thirty years before Supernatural, Santana mesmerized the then record-breaking audience at Woodstock – the band’s performance of “Soul Sacrifice” is regarded as one of the high points of the classic concert documentary. “I’ll never forget the way the music sounded, bouncing up against a field of bodies,” says Santana. “It’s well documented that I was tripping during our performance. At one point the guitar turned into an electric snake, twisting and turning. I kept willing the snake not to move and praying that it stayed in tune. By the time we played ‘Soul Sacrifice,’ I was able to breathe and focus, and the band crystalized as one. The magic of Woodstock would not have been possible without Bill Graham. No one had heard of us yet, but he made sure we were on the bill. He is always in my heart.” While Santana will highlight songs from both his Supernatural and Woodstock eras on theSupernatural Now tour, the guitarist says that the setlist won’t be a dedicated nostalgia trip. The band (which also features Santana’s wife, Cindy Blackman Santana, on drums) will perform new tracks from Santana’s soon-to-be released EP, In Search of Mona Lisa(due out January 25), as well as a much-anticipated, upcoming full-length produced by maverick hitmaker Rick Rubin. Carlos Santana recently signed with Concord Records, which will release both discs. “We’re always moving forward, and we have incredible new songs and melodies that will inspire you,” says Santana “I feel like a 20 year old on stage playing with this band, and they deliver on every song. When we hit the stage, we know we will touch your heart and make you dance, sing, cry, laugh and leave your baggage behind. The shows will be well balanced between the hits of yesterday, today and tomorrow…with energy!” "We look forward to sharing the stage with Santana and have an incredible set lined up for audiences. It's going to be a great tour," stated The Doobie Brothers.
The 2019 dates for the Supernatural Now tour will focus on North America, but Santana is looking to bring his dual-anniversary extravaganza to Europe, Asia, South America, Australia and New Zealand next year.
The original Woodstock festival took place between August 15-19, 1969. Santana reflects, “It is an honor to celebrate the anniversary of this historic event and return to that sacred ground once again in August. I have a lot of ideas about the anniversary and how to honor those who are no longer with us to celebrate. It is going to be an inspiring summer and we invite you to join us and celebrate life!” To reward Santana’s loyal fans for years of support and in celebration of the 20th anniversary of the award-winning album Supernatural, Carlos would like to share his latest masterpiece, a new full-length album of highly energetic and hypnotic songs, rhythms,
- SAT 6/22/19 - Phoenix, AZ - Ak-Chin Pavilion
- SUN 6/23/19 - San Diego, CA - North Island Credit Union Amphitheatre
- MON 6/24/19 - Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Bowl
- WED 6/26/19 - Mountain View, CA - Shoreline Amphitheatre
- THU 6/27/19 - Wheatland, CA - Toyota Amphitheatre
- SAT 6/29/19 - Seattle, WA - White River Amphitheatre
- SUN 6/30/19 - Portland, OR - Sunlight Supply Amphitheater
- TUE 7/2/19 - Salt Lake City, UT - USANA Amphitheatre
- WED 7/3/19 - Denver, CO - Pepsi Center
- SAT 7/6/19 - Dallas, TX - Dos Equis Pavilion
- TUE 7/9/19 - Austin, TX - Austin360 Amphitheater
- THU 7/11/19 - Kansas City, MO - Sprint Center
- FRI 7/12/19 - St. Louis, MO - Hollywood Casino Amphitheatre
- SAT 8/3/19 – St. Paul, MN - Xcel Energy Center
- SUN 8/4/19 - Chicago, IL - Hollywood Casino Amphitheatre
- TUE 8/6/19 - Toronto, ON - Budweiser Stage
- WED 8/7/19 - Cleveland, OH - Blossom Music Center
- FRI 8/9/19 - Indianapolis, IN - Ruoff Home Mortgage Music Center
- SAT 8/10/19 - Cincinnati, OH - Riverbend Music Center
- SUN 8/11/19 - Detroit, MI - DTE Energy Music Theatre
- TUE 8/13/19 - Charlotte, NC - PNC Music Pavilion
- WED 8/14/19 - Washington, DC - Jiffy Lube Live
- FRI 8/16/19 - Darien Center, NY - Darien Lake Amphitheater
- SUN 8/18/19 - Holmdel, NJ - PNC Bank Arts Center
- TUE 8/20/19 - Boston, MA - Xfinity Center
- WED 8/21/19 - Hartford, CT - XFINITY Theatre
- FRI 8/23/19 - Saratoga, NY - Saratoga Performing Arts Center
- SAT 8/24/19 - Camden, NJ - BB&T Pavilion
- SUN 8/25/19 - Wantagh, NY – Northwell Health at Jones Beach Theater
For more information: