This new collaboration a rekindling of a long-standing friendship between the celebrated American rocker and chief designer, Martin Kidd.
United Kingdom (September 15, 2017) -- Victory Amplification from the UK proudly announces the Richie Kotzen Signature RK50 Heritage Series Combo and RK50 Compact Series Head.
This new collaboration with Richie Kotzen is a rekindling of a long-standing friendship between the celebrated American rocker and Victory Amplification chief designer, Martin Kidd.
Martin Kidd: “The initial discussions were for a unique approach to a 1x12 combo of around 40-50 watts. Richie is a big fan of the low-end response and feel you get from the power stage of a Marshall Super Lead-style circuit. For the front end, he wanted to rival his Cornford RK100 in terms of gain, yet have enough range to roll back to pushed clean and crunchy rhythm sounds. He likes to control things directly from his guitar, and also using his signature Tech 21 RK5 Fly Rig, so his only requirement in terms of gain or channel switching was a simple preamp boost that we achieved with valve gain staging.
“Likewise, he didn’t want or need extensive EQ shaping so there’s just a single ‘tone’ knob that works on the treble frequencies only. Brighter or less bright – it couldn’t be more simple! Nevertheless, given that he (and potential customers) will be using it with a variety of different cabinets, it was important to include some kind of low-end attenuation ability, so there is a ‘speaker damping’ switch on the rear panel that curbs some of the low-end resonance if you want the sound to be tighter.
“Richie also surprised us with his request for reverb and tremolo, but having developed versions of both effects for V40 The Duchess and V40 Deluxe, it was relatively simple to include these in the RK50 and really add to its appeal. In the Compact Series head the reverb is digital; in the Heritage Series combo it’s a full-length spring reverb.
“Even we’ve been surprised at how many styles the amp seems to suit, but hearing Richie play it live is where the biggest smiles happen. We are extremely proud to be behind such a brilliant and unique artist.”
- SINGLE CHANNEL PLUS BOOST & MASTER VOLUME: This deceptively simple layout offers access to a massive range of clean, breakup and full-on gained tones. The valve gain boost is footswitchable and/or selectable on the rear panel.
- SINGLE TONE: Richie wanted simplicity, so we gave him exactly that! Darker or brighter, no messing about.
- REVERB: The RK50 Combo has footswitchable spring reverb (digital in the Compact head).
- TREMOLO: The coolest guitar effect ever? Richie’s a fan and so are we: go from smooth and slow to full-on stuttering rhythms.
- HIGH & LOW POWER MODES: 50 watts high power or 9 watts low power: your choice of stage or bedroom; high headroom or more compressed dynamics.
- SERIES EFFECTS LOOP: Run your delays and reverbs – or anything else for that matter – in the loop should you so desire.
- SPEAKER DAMPING: Switches the negative feedback loop in the power section on and off. Out, there’s more bass resonance and power amp gain. Use it to optimise the amp to your chosen cabinet and/or the overall. volume. Some people just love trouser-flapping low end and some really don’t. The choice is yours.
- BIAS TEST POINTS: No more fiddling inside when you change or check output valves.
- Type: Single-channel all-valve amp with footswitchable boost, reverb and tremolo
- Features: Footswitchable boost, footswitchable reverb and tremolo. (Spring reverb in the Heritage Series Combo / digital reverb in the Compact Series head.) Speaker damping feature, high/low power options, series effects loop, option of 6L6 or EL34 power valves (including selectable bias switch)
- Power: 50 watts RMS high power, 9 watts RMS low power
- Valves: 3 x 12AX7, 2 x 6L6 (swappable for EL34)
- Speaker: 1x12-inch Celestion G12H-65 Creamback (combo)
- Sizes: Combo & 112 cabinet: 600(w) x 473(h) x 253mm(d)
- Head: 342(w) x 185(h) x 185mm(d)
- Weight: Combo: 22.3kg/49.1lbs. Head: 8.2kg/18.1lbs. 112 cab: 16kg/35lbs
- Footswitches (boost on/off and reverb & tremolo on/off) included
- Slip cover included
SRP/MAP: (September 2017)
- UK: Combo £1,649 (Compact Series Head £999)
- EU: Combo €1,869 (Compact Series Head €1,139)
- USA: Combo $1,899 (Compact Series Head $1,149)
For more information:
Looking for more great gear for the guitar player in your life (yourself included!)? Check out this year's Holiday Gear Finds!
D'Addario XPND Pedalboard
DR-05X Stereo Handheld Recorder
Wampler Pedals Ratsbane
Created in collaboration with legendary guitarist George Lynch of Dokken and Lynch Mob fame, the Mr.Scary Mod adds an adjustable tube gain stage and an onboard Deep control, which together are designed to enable an amp to have increased sustain while still retaining note definition and dynamics.
LegendaryTones, LLC today announced production availability of its new Mr. Scary Mod, a 100% pure tube module designed to instantly and easily expand the capabilities of many classic amplifiers with additional gain and tone shaping. Created in collaboration with legendary guitarist George Lynch of Dokken and Lynch Mob fame, the Mr.Scary Mod adds an adjustable tube gain stage and an onboard Deep control, which together are designed to enable an amp to have increased sustain while still retaining note definition and dynamics.
Originally released as the Lynch Mod in February 2021, the updated Mr. Scary Mod features the same core circuit as the Lynch Mod but is now equipped with a revised tube mix combo per George’s preference as well as a facelift in a newly redesigned electro-galvanized steel enclosure. As with the Lynch Mod, each run will be limited and the first run in Pumpkin Orange with Black hardware is limited to just 150 pieces worldwide.
The Mr. Scary Mod adds an adjustable tube gain stage on top of the cathode follower position, keeping note definition and articulation while further increasing sustain. Each Mr. Scary mod is meticulously built by hand in the USA, one at a time, and tuned using high-grade components. Equipped with a single ECC81 (12AT7) in the first position and ECC83 (12AX7) in the second, the Mr. Scary Mod can clean up beautifully when rolling down your guitar’s volume, and still adds scorching gain when you roll it back up. This is a gain stage that’s been tuned and approved by the ears of the maestro George Lynch himself.
“The Mr. Scary Mod excels with dynamics and is incredibly touch-responsive, allowing me to shift from playing clear, lightly compressed cleans to full-out aggressive sustain and distortion –and control it all simply by varying my guitar’s volume control and picking,” said GeorgeLynch. “In many ways, it’s an old-school approach, but it’s also so much more natural and expressive in addition to being musically fulfilling when you can play both the guitar and amp dynamically together this way.”
The Mr. Scary Mod installs in minutes, is safe and effective to use, and requires no special tools or re-biasing of the amplifier. Simply insert the module into the cathode follower preamp position of compatible amplifiers (includes Marshall 2203/2204/1959/1987 circuits) and
immediately get the benefit of enjoying a hot-rodded amp that delivers all the pure harmonic character that comes with an added pure tube gain stage. The handmade in the USA Mr. Scary Mod is now available to order for $319.
For more information, please visit legendarytones.com.
October Audio has miniaturized their NVMBR Gain pedal to create two mini versions of this beautifully organic-sounding circuit – including an always-on gain device.
The NVMBR Gain is a nonlinear amp that transitions gracefully from clean boost to overdriven tones. Volume increases from just over unity to about 10db before soft-clipping drive appears for another 5db of boost. Its extraordinary ease of use is matched by outstanding versatility: you can use it as a clean boost, push a stubborn amp into overdrive or create a just-breaking-up sound at any amp volume.
October Audio’s new family of mini NVMBR Gain pedals includes a switchable version that allows you to bypass the effect: one option features brand logo pedal graphics, while the other sports a fun “Witch Finger” graphic with a Davies knob as the“fingernail”.
The second version in the new lineup is an always-on device featuring the Witch Finger graphic and Davies knob, with the same NVMBR Gain circuit that lies at the core of the switchable version.
- Knob controls gain and clipping simultaneously
- Stunning silver hammertone finish
- Switchable versions are true-bypass, available with classic or witch finger graphics
- Authentic Davies knobs, including the “fingernail”
- 9V center negative power supply required
- Dimensions: 3.63 x 1.50 x 1.88 in
Witch Finger (always on NVMBR Gain) demo
All October Audio pedals are assembled in Richmond, VA, and available for purchase directly through the online shop. Street price is $109 for NVMBR Gain footswitch versions and $89 for the always-on device.
For more information, please visit octoberaudio.com.