Put that router away and say hello to brighter, grittier tone with these drop-in, humbucker-sized single-coils.
Transforming a guitar’s sound with a new set of pickups is exciting, but it’s not always easily doable without routing. We’ve assembled 10 options designed to serve up delicious P-90 tone, but sized to slip right into your humbucker-routed guitar.
These low-wind pickups offer snappy and brighter single-coil tones for those in need of more chime and less power, and can be ordered with custom wood tops.
Boasting clear lows, thick mids, and percussive highs, this vintage-voiced P-90 was designed for versatility, clarity, and snarly midrange, and is available in a number of finishes.
These P-90s are reported to provide fat, warm-yet-crunchy body, and can offer full humbucking performance when both pickups are selected, because the neck pickup is reverse wound.
Based on the company’s House Special P-90, this pickup brings all the power and tone of a true P-90 but in a humbucker package—measuring 7.4k for the neck and 7.8k for the bridge.
A faithful recreation of a vintage P-90, these pickups feature spec plain enamel wire, alnico 4 magnets for the neck for clear and fat sounds, and alnico 5s for the bridge for bite and grind.
For those chasing authentic tone, these pickups duplicate the construction, materials, and growl of a vintage ’50s-era P-90 by using the company’s proprietary Vintage Core specifications.
Housing alnico 2, 4 , or 5 magnets and 43AWG coil wound around its humbucker-sized P-90 bobbins, these pickups are said to offer single-coil tones with clarity, presence, and a defined voice.
These single-coils are designed to offer plenty of crunch by capturing the classic P-90 tone of the 1950s with “a little South Texas funk” thrown in.
Regardless of your style, these degaussed alnico 5 pickups were made to be touch sensitive, respond well to pick attack, and provide tight lows, grinding mids, and singing highs.
A vintage-style pickup with added depth and clarity.
Grand Rapids, MI (March 31, 2015) -- ThroBak Electronics introduces the new ThroBak DS-55 Double Slug humbucker pickup. The DS-55 is a reproduction of the original double slug humbucker design that was submitted to the U.S. Patent Office on June 22, 1955. A screw coil was added to the P.A.F. design only when salesmen complained that a selling feature had been eliminated. Now, 60 years later, ThroBak has recreated the original P.A.F. double slug humbucker.
The ThroBak DS-55 has the familiar response and dynamics of a classic P.A.F. but with an added depth and fundamental clarity that one usually associates with a single-coil pickup. Notes ring and pop like a great single coil but with the added balance and punch of a classic P.A.F. These qualities make the DS-55 a welcome addition to the tonal tool box of any guitar player. The ThroBak DS-55 - the golden link in the chain connecting single coil and humbucker pickups.
ThroBak DS-55 Specifications::
- Coils wound with vintage, Kalamazoo-era winding machine for unsurpassed vintage winding accuracy.
- 42 AWG Plain Enamel wire and vintage 1955 winding pattern.
- ThroBak Maximum Vintage Butyrate bobbins, Made in USA.
- ThroBak custom made short leg Nickel Silver baseplates, Made in USA.
- ThroBak Maximum Vintage P.A.F. style no hole covers with standard buffed raw Nickel Silver finish, Made in USA.
- ThroBak Maximum Vintage P.A.F. style vintage alloy pole slugs, Made in USA.
- Vintage formulation long Alnico 3 and Alnico 4 M-55 custom magnets, Made in USA.
The ThroBak DS-55 has M.A.P. (minimum advertised price) of $419.00 per pair. Available direct from ThroBak Electronics and authorized dealers.
For more information:
The Pre-T-301 reproduces a classic pickup that bridged the gap between PAFs and T-Top’s in the mid to late '60s.
Grand Rapids, MI (December 4, 2013) -- The ThroBak Pre-T-301 reproduces the toneful vintage transition humbucker know by collectors as the “Pre-T” pat. # pickup. The Pre-T-301 reproduces this classic pickup that bridged the gap between PAF’s and T-Top’s in the mid to late 60’s.
ThroBak Pre-T-301 pickups are at once articulate and treble detailed while being lush in the low end. With an attack that can go from sweet & spanky to mean & juicy, simply by changing pick dynamics, ThroBak Pre-T-301 pickups delivers the best mid to late 60's ES-335 and SG tones to the player of today. Explore the tonally territory that became West Coast sound with the ThroBak Pre-T-301 Maximum Vintage pickup set.
- Coils wound with vintage, Kalamazoo-era Meteor ME-301 winder
- 42 AWG red Poly wire duplicates rarest late Pre-T specs
- Alnico 2 and 5 short magnets custom Made in USA (long A4 option available)
- ThroBak Maximum Vintage PAF clone Butyrate bobbins, Made in USA
- ThroBak Maximum Vintage PAF-style baseplates, Made in USA
- ThroBak Maximum Vintage PAF-style covers, Made in USA
- ThroBak Maximum Vintage PAF-style vintage alloy pole screws and slugs Made in USA
- Vintage-correct braided wire
The ThroBak PT-301 has M.A.P. (minimum advertised price) of $419.00 per pair. Available direct from ThroBak Electronics and authorized dealers.
For more information: