February 15, 2011
Gibson''s second bass shared its its double-cutaway, semi-solid design with the ES-335 unveiled that same year.
By 1958, Gibson released its second bass guitar, the EB-2. This bass shared its double-cutaway, semi-solid design with the ES-335 (also unveiled that year). The EB-2 retained the single neck pickup of the Electric Bass (renamed the EB-1) until 1959, when it was upgraded to a humbucker. This model was briefly discontinued in 1962, but was restored to the lineup in 1964 when ES-335-style guitars were most fashionable. While the bass was previously only available in sunburst or natural finishes, by 1965 cherry red also became an option. A two-pickup model was also offered starting in 1966.
The 1967 EB-2 bass featured here is labeled EB-2 DC (“D” for double pickup and “C” for cherry). Its characteristics are typical of that year, and they include right-angle tuners (which replaced the original banjo-style tuners in 1961), a push-push switch to add treble (added in 1959), a bridge mute (1960), and a metal neck-pickup cover (which replaced the original black plastic cover).
The original owner purchased this bass new in 1967 along with a brand new Sunn 200S head and bottom (equipped with two 15" JBLs). It must have made a thunderous roar in his basement, where it remained for the next 40 years in nearly mint condition.
Detailed Information on Gibson EB-2 basses can be found in Gibson Electrics—The Classic Years, by A.R. Duchossoir.
Though the EB-2 made its debut in 1958, this instrument’s cherry red finish wasn’t an
option until 1965. In 1960, the EB-2 began sporting a foam-covered bridge mute.
Serial number 897004 is a beautiful example of late-’60s semi-hollow bass design.
Right-angle tuners replaced the EB- 2’s original banjo-style tuners in 1961.
Dave ’s Guitar Shop
Dave Rogers’ collection is tended by Laun Braithwaite and Tim Mullally and is on display at:
Dave’s Guitar Shop
1227 Third Street South
La Crosse, WI 54601
Photos by Mullally and text by Braithwaite.