An amalgamation of Johnny A.'s four favorite model years—1963 through 1966—that features a select two-piece alder body with an off-center seam.
Born John Antonopoulos in Malden, Mass., Johnny A. first got the guitar bug when he saw the Beatles in Boston at age 13. Taking the stage name “Johnny A.”, he steadily acquired a sterling reputation as a rock, blues and jazz ace with artists including Delaney & Bonnie, Derek and the Dominos keyboardist Bobby Whitlock and Creedence Clearwater Revival drummer Doug Clifford. The 1990s saw a seven-year stint as guitarist and musical director for J. Geils Band frontman Peter Wolf, and to really bring his career full circle, Johnny A. joined the Yardbirds in 2015 for a three-year stint. Today, he continues to wow listeners with his impeccable playing in a variety of studio and onstage projects.
The Custom Shop is proud to honor one of the “City on the Hill’s” finest guitarist/songwriters with the Johnny A. Signature Stratocaster. “I had a lot of discussions about pickups to match my tone and style… I was really able to go in and sculpt and dial in the specs for these guitars. I’m hoping that when the guitars are released to the public, it's the specs people enjoy,” added Johnny A.
- Select two-piece alder body with off-center seam, paired with a 3A birdseye maple neck featuring a ’65-style “oval C” profile and contoured heel. The round-lam rosewood fingerboard has a comfortable 7.25” radius and 21 medium jumbo (6150) frets.
- The neck and middle pickups are hand-wound 11/56 models, while a steel bottom plate on the custom 11/56 bridge pickups delivers a livelier tone with more wide-ranging response; all are fixed to a three-ply mint green pickguard, along with a five-way switch and Strat Blender wiring with Tone-Saver bleed circuitry.
- Other premium features include Custom Shop synchronized tremolo bridge, vintage-style tuners, bone nut, wing string tree with tall metal spacer, deluxe hardshell case, strap, and certificate of authenticity.
- The guitar’s special Time Capsule flash-coat lacquer finish comes in striking Lydian Gold Metallic with Closet Classic chrome hardware and in Sunset Glow Metallic with Closet Classic gold hardware, combining several classic ’60s design elements to honor one of New England’s most accomplished sidemen and solo artists.
MSRP: $5,200.00 -$5,450.00. For more information, please visit fendercustomshop.com.
An affordable signature Muff built for the "Wizard of Wail."
The J Mascis Ram’s Head Big Muff Pi produces the indulgent fuzz tone of equal parts thickness and clarity that J has utilized as his sonic center for decades. "That's my sound. The Muff is always on," J says. "All distorted sounds begin with the Muff. That's what I grew up playing so it's kind of amazing to have my own signature one."
The special edition pedal is housed in a die-cast chassis with a white and violet finish and includes true bypass switching, a 9V battery and the option of being powered by a 9V AC adapter.
Pays homage to the sonic center of the alt-rock legend’s iconic tone of equal parts thickness and clarity in a special edition white and violet finish.
Street price: $131.50
The MXR Super Badass Dynamic overdrive was designed to inject any setup with extra bite, while preserving existing tonal dynamics.
With MOSFET clipping under the hood, this pedal’s overdrive can be pulled back for a clean boost or cranked into full gear for vintage high-gain grind. On the dashboard, a simple set of controls allows you to dial in the right sound for your setup, featuring Output, Tone, and Gain knobs along with a Boost/Cut switch that allows you to bump up the overall level with a little extra midrange or drop everything down a notch.
MXR Super Badass Dynamic O.D. Highlights:
- Add extra bite to any setup while preserving your tonal dynamics
- MOSFET clipping for smooth, purring overdrive
- Shift gears from a nice, clean boost to vintage high-grain grind
- Boost/Cut switch bumps the whole signal with a little extra midrange or drops everything down a notch
- The perfect pedal for taking your warmed up tube amp over the finish line
MXR® Super Badass® Dynamic O.D.
The MXR Super Badass Dynamic O.D. is available in the USA exclusively through Guitar Center ($129.99 street) and worldwide through select international retailers. For more information, please visit jimdunlop.com.