The company'sfirst offering is the Model 1930, an original short-scale design that sports a single Curtis Novak Bisonic pickup.
Lake Forest, IL (November 18, 2019) -- Longtime bass builder Dan Lakin is back with a new line of all USA-made basses. His new company, D. Lakin Basses, has announced its first offering: the Model 1930, an original short-scale design that sports a single Curtis Novak Bisonic pickup.
The Model 1930 features a 30” scale maple neck with either East Indian rosewood or birdseye maple fretboard. Customers can choose their preferred fretboard – both are available for the same price. Lightweight Swamp Ash wood is standard for the body, and Alder body is available as an option for no extra charge.
The Bisonic pickup design was introduced in the early 60’s by Hagstrom and more famously used by Guild on the Starfire Bass in the mid to late 60’s. Curtis Novak stayed true to form and yet improved the design by adding an extra magnet. This trick was first done by Bay area bassist’s Jack Cassidy (Jefferson Airplane) and Phil Lesh (The Grateful Dead.) This pickup offers unparalleled frequency response and tonal clarity. Measuring just a few inches longer than a standard 6-string electric guitar, this bass balances perfectly and is a joy to play!
Lakin is well known for founding the acclaimed Lakland Basses. With his newly launched D. Lakin Basses, Dan’s new team consists of a designer (Kirk Hunter) and a master luthier (Dan Strack), both of whom worked with Dan at Lakland Basses.
An order with D. Lakin Basses starts with a one-on-one consultation between Dan Lakin and the customer. Many features of the new basses are customizable, including pickups, pickguards, and hardware. Instruments are available in traditional colors and as well as custom colors.
Working with artists to create the perfect bass was Dan’s favorite part of working at Lakland. Now with a direct sell model (D. Lakin Basses are only available direct from Dan Lakin) Dan can offer direct communication with the customer. There is no dealer in the middle.
Models names are based on year of model design and scale length. Orders can be started for 5734 (p bass) or the 6034 (j bass). The 1930 and other short scale models will be available in spring of 2020. A 50% deposit is required to start an order. Delivery lead time is approximately 90 to 120 days.
Bass prices start at $3199.
Standard features include:
- Nitrocellulose Body Finish - all colors available.
- Oil Finish Necks - this finish was designed to feel like a vintage bass where the finish has been worn through. (Nitrocellulose finish on neck also available at an additional charge)
- Custom made hardware by Hipshot. A dual design bridge (string through bridge or through body) is standard and custom made open back or ultra-lite tuners are standard equipment.
- Pickups by Curtis Novak, and Lindy Fralin are standard. Pickups by other manufacturers will also be offered at the customer’s request.
- True vintage style turquoise shell pickguards by Spitfire are optional at an additional charge.
- Basses come with gig bags by Mono or cases by SKB & G&G quality cases.
For more information:
D Lakin Basses