A classic offset design that was originally offered as a limited-run "Old Nick" model conceived for, and with, revered ex-Verve guitarist Nick McCabe.
United Kingdom (June 19, 2019) -- UK based Lucem Guitars continue to gather a cult following on their side of the pond; and have chosen Summer NAMM in Nashville for the unveiling of their new Paradox Deluxe model.
The Paradox blends distinct retro styling and classic offset design was originally offered as a limited-run "Old Nick" model conceived for, and with, revered ex-Verve guitarist Nick McCabe.
In this new ‘Deluxe’ offering aimed towards the boutique market; it features highly figured tonewoods, two new finish options, and an innovative 5 pot controls scheme.
21 different settings are accessible from the controls plate including various combinations of coil splits, series/parallel, out of phase, and a master volume control pot. This master volume control gives the player opportunity to create swells without effecting the balance set at the neck/bridge volume and tone controls - a feature introduced by McCabe for his trademark “pinkie rolls”.
The 'Black Flame' hand rubbed black dye finish is available in high-gloss nitrocellulose lacquer, or alternatively a more natural/rustic, satin oil and wax finish.
Construction wise it is based around a quarter sawn maple through-neck format, this aids in transferring vibration evenly, across the whole frequency range, through the entire instrument. This helps increase sustain and eliminate dead spots. This also facilitates a virtually heel-less neck joint for unparalleled access to the upper registers.
In another interesting connection Lucem’s new logo; which will feature on the new model has been designed by Brian Cannon from Microdot Creative; who was responsible for many iconic British album sleeve designs of the 1990’s.
Hand made in the English Lake District these instruments combine superior craftsmanship with innovative, left-field design, modern, high-end features and performance tied to a classic aesthetic. The operation is headed up by Luthier and Engineer Graham Skimming who also specialises in the design of high integrity industrial control and instrumentation systems, he strives to apply the same levels of quality, innovation and attention to detail to Lucem's guitars.
The Paradox will be on show at Summer NAMM in Nashville with The Boutique Guitar Showcase, and will also be shown at numerous stores throughout the US on the Eastern and Western Boutique Guitar Showcase tours August - October.
High Gloss nitro finish $4760 RRP ($3332 dealer)
Oil and wax finish $4560 RRP ($3192 dealer)
Paradox Deluxe Specifications::
- Brand: Lucem
- Model: Paradox
- Title: Deluxe
- Body: Tulipwood core
- Top: European Curly Maple (top and back)
- Neck: Maple Through-neck
- Fretboard: Indian Ebony or Indian Rosewood
- Headstock overlay: European Curly Maple
- Binding: Bound fretboard (matching)
- Inlay: Pearloid side dots
- Finish: Hand rubbed black dye, finished in either high gloss nitro OR oil and wax
- Scale Length: 25.5”
- Fretboard Radius: Custom Compound
- Nut Width: 42mm
- Bridge: Wraparound
- Pickups: Splittable 12-pole Alnico 5 (bridge), Alnico 3 (neck) - hand wound in Manchester by The Creamery
- Switch:3-way toggle
- Tuners: Schaller DaVinci
- Case: Swanflight Hex full flight case
- Controls scheme - 5 x 500k CTS pots, 1x volume, 1 x tone for each pickup, plus and independent master volume control. This scheme provides 21 possible combinations;
- All controls in down position - normal LP type controls config.
- Neck volume up - neck humbucker coil split.
- Bridge volume up - bridge humbucker coil split.
- Neck tone up - neck and bridge in series.
- Bridge tone up - neck and bridge out of phase.
For more information: