Great Eastern FX Small Speaker Overdrive Review
An overachieving overdrive that gets way bigger than its name suggests.
Sweet balanced crunch tones. Dynamic. Sparkling, full, and clean at attenuated guitar volume. High-quality build.
Great Eastern FX Small Speaker Overdrive
Overdrive pedals don’t often set my world alight—even great ones. But I’ve spent a month with the England-built Great Eastern FX Small Speaker Overdrive, and it remains attached to the other end of my coil-y cable. Ostensibly, the Small Speaker is meant to be a variation on the tweed-Fender-Champ-in-a-box theme. However, both the pedal’s name and the Champ associations fail to do justice to how large and alive it sounds and feels tethered to a bigger amp.
For one thing, the Small Speaker has more headroom and low-end ballast than a hot, wide-open tweed Champ. You can certainly summon the focus and midrange-y punch that makes that amp a star in front of a microphone. But thanks to the Small Speaker’s excellent EQ, you can also conjure a substantial measure of tuneful low end that is a perfect counterweight to its open, aerated highs and mids, and makes this little pedal a wrecking ball.
The Small Speaker is also super dynamic. If you set the pedal up for a crunchy, high-gain setting, it gets much cleaner at attenuated guitar volumes—not sort of clean and thin, or slightly crunchy, but full-bodied and sparklingly clean. This characteristic, among many others, makes it a dream pairing for a black-panel Fender. I’ve had the black-panel Tremolux used for this review for decades. It’s flat-out my favorite amp. But in all that time, I don’t ever remember it sounding quite as sweetly crunchy as it does when hooked up to the Small Speaker Overdrive. What an impressive little pedal.
- Best Distortion Pedals Under $100 - Premier Guitar ›
- Does Speaker Size Really Matter? - Premier Guitar ›
- PG Editors on Their Favorite Overdrive/Distortion Pedals ... ›
- Great Eastern FX Introduces the Design-a-drive - Premier Guitar ›
- Shnobel Tone Unveils the Mid Driver Overdrive - Premier Guitar ›
- Great Eastern FX Co. Launch the Focus Fuzz - Premier Guitar ›
- Copy of PG Editors on Their Favorite Overdrive/Distortion Pedals - Premier Guitar ›
- Great Eastern FX Co. Focus Fuzz Effects Pedal Review - Premier Guitar ›
- Horrothia Effects Introduces Teeth Mk2 Overdrive Pedal - Premier Guitar ›