Top 10 First Looks of 2020
December 30, 2020
A shit year didn't mean shit gear—here's our most-popular gear demos featuring fresh pieces from Epiphone, Fender, Suhr, EHX, MXR, and others.
10. Guild X-175 Manhattan SpecialThanks to its DeArmond Dynasonic pickups, true hollowbody tone delights await in this classy and handsomely styled 6-string that won't break the bank.
9. Fender Brent Mason TelecasterB-bender, mini-bucker, and copious switching options make this session master's signature Telecaster a twanging tone chameleon.
8. Electro-Harmonix 5MMCheck out the big amp tones from a little box that won't bust your eardrums (or your bankroll).
7. Fender Player Duo-SonicA streamlined, short-scale solidbody that spans Stratocaster tones and Telecaster simplicity.
6. Electro-Harmonix Ram's Head Big MuffFrom Gilmour to Mascis, the mighty Ram's Head has always represented the pinnacle of Muffery. Now this econo version delivers the goods for a fraction of the vintage-madness price.
5. MXR Timmy DrivePaul Cochrane teams with MXR to build a tiny and accessibly priced take on his ultra-legendary overdrive.
4. EarthQuaker Devices AfterneathGuitar phenom Yvette Young tap dances around the ethereal, ambient, cavernous world of EQD's latest reverb.
3. Suhr HombreSweet simplicity meets tasty tremolo in a brownface-inspired tone machine.
2. Fender American Professional II StratocasterThe world’s most iconic electric evolves again—this time with a roasted pine body, contoured heel, rolled fretboard edges, and more articulate pickups.
1. Epiphone Joe Bonamassa 1960 Les Paul Standard "Norm Burst"Fat tones, fast neck, and scads of vintage Les Paul vibe at an easy-to-own price.