The 60+ guitars, amps, pedals, basses, and accessories that stood out from the crowd and earned our coveted Premier Gear Award this year.
Greer Soma ’63Generally speaking, Fender’s early-’60s brownface amps bridge a sonic gap between tweed grit and compression and the cleaner tones of blackface amps. The Soma ’63 goes to inventive lengths to simulate these characteristics, including a small-core transformer and circuit tweaks that simulate preamp, power amp, and phase inversion characteristics, and even, as Greer claims, the breakup of the 10" Utah speaker found in brownface Tremolux, Concert, and Princeton amps.
Plus! December Premier Gear Award Winners!
Read the full reviews on the pages indicated below!
1. Peavey Invective.MH — $699 street, peavey.com
2. Chase Bliss Dark World — $349 street, chaseblissaudio.com
3. Comins CGS-16 — $2,399 street, cominsguitars.com
4. Ernie Ball Music Man Short-Scale StingRay — $1,999 street, music-man.com
5. EBS MicroBass 3 — $349 street, ebssweden.com